- 1 1/2 cups diced (roughly 1/2" cubes) squash
- 6 ounces firm tofu, cubed (roughly 1/2" cubes)
- 2 cups hot water
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1/2 cup very thinly-sliced watermelon radish (regular radish will work if you can't find watermelon radish)
- 1/2 cup + 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 3 cups sliced shiitake mushrooms
- 2 cups yellow oyster mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 3-3 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons sherry
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 4 cups chopped Lacinato kale (also called "dinosaur" kale)
- 6 ounces of soba noodles
- 2 green onions, diced, for garnish
- Black sesame seeds (optional), for garnish
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon white miso paste
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1/2 cup fresh-squeezed grapefruit juice
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
Make the Dressing
In a small mixing bowl, combine all the dressing ingredients except the oil. Then, slowly whisk in the oil until combined. Set aside to let the flavors meld until the salad is ready to be assembled.
Assemble the Salad
Preheat oven to 375.
In a bowl, dissolve 1 1/2 cups of salt in hot water. Place the tofu in the saltwater, and set aside for 15-20 minutes. Discard the water, and pat the tofu dry with paper towels.
In a small bowl combine the rice vinegar and 1/2 tablespoon of salt. Stir until the salt has completely dissolved. Place the sliced radish in the vinegar/salt mixture, and set aside until ready to assemble the salad.
In a large bowl toss the tofu and squash in a small amount of olive oil (approximately 1-1 1/2 tablespoons), and arrange the pieces on a baking sheet in a single layer. Bake for 20-25 minutes, turning occasionally, until the tofu and squash are brown and crispy on all sides. Remove from heat and set aside until salad is ready to be assembled.
While the squash and tofu are cooking, sauté the mushrooms. In a medium-sized skillet, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil on medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms, and
sauté for 5-6 minutes, until browned on all sides. Next, add soy sauce, 1 teaspoon of rice vinegar and sherry, and cook mushrooms until the liquid is gone. Season with salt and pepper as needed. Remove from heat and set aside until salad is ready to be assembled.
In large bowl season kale with salt and 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Massage the oil into the kale until all the leaves are evenly coated. Next, drain the radish and discard the pickling liquid. Set aside until the salad is ready to be assembled.
Boil and drain the soba noodles according to the instructions on the package.
While the cooked ingredients are still warm, toss the noodles, tofu, squash, mushrooms, pickled radish, and kale in a large salad bowl. Add the dressing to the salad mixture a little at a time, until everything is well coated.
Arrange the salad on a large serving plate, and garnish with the black sesame seeds and sliced green onion.